Founded by brothers Bill and Bob Boyer in 1936, the Boyer Brothers, Inc. initially produced nut raisin clusters and homemade fudge. The brothers started their business selling door to door. After those early forays into the candy business, Boyer became notable in the late 1930s for Mallo Cups, a cup-shaped candy consisting of a whipped marshmallow creme center covered with chocolate.
The company was acquired by American Maize Products in 1969 and then by Consolidated Brands in 1984. The company still operates from its original plant located in Altoona, Pennsylvania.